Our client, A new start up advertising agency, is looking for a Financial Controller to join their Los Angeles office. As the Company’s Controller, you will be responsible for leading the entire accounting and monthly close function. This is a senior role that will be instrumental in building out the back-office team as the company expands. You will wear many hats, ranging from closing the books, assisting with tracking key operational metrics, managing compliance and financial audit, and accounting and systems implementation to assist in helping the company scale.
The successfully hired Financial Controller must have a CPA (or equivalent) ideally with public accounting experience and preferably some commercial experience with exposure to the Finance side of the business.
- Ensure completeness, accuracy, and timeliness of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements;
- Manage the month end close process with a focus on continuous process improvement in order to reduce the time it takes to close the books while maintaining the highest accounting quality;
- Plan and manage timely filing of tax returns and other statutory filings;
- Manage company’s annual audits;
- Oversee activities related to traditional general accounting functions, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash management, general ledger, etc.;
- Help prepare budgets by collecting, analyzing, and consolidating financial data, reporting on variances and recommending plans for corrective action if needed;
- Serve treasury function, tracking monthly bank reconciliation and ensuring proper controls for cash on hand;
- Help ensure appropriate compensation, payroll and HR practices;
- Establish, monitor, and enforce policies and procedures. Oversee and enhance internal control environment;
- Manage the ERP System in conjunction with our private equity shareholders;
- Recommend courses of action to help achieve financial goals of the company;
- Any other tasks as required.
QUALIFICATIONS – REQUIRED
- At least four (4) years of substantive technical accounting experience;
- At least two (2) years of industry experience in Marketing / Tech or a start up environment;
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or equivalent work experience;
- CPA or equivalent.
QUALIFICATIONS – PREFERRED
- Revenue recognition expertise;
- Exposure to Finance including budgeting, forecasting and five year plan;
- Big 4 pedigree.
SKILLS – REQUIRED
- Ability to “roll your sleeves” up and perform many of the accounting duties;
- Ability to multi-task;
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written) to convey findings to relevant personnel;
- Excellent Emotional Intelligence (EQ) level to build relationships internally and externally;
- Detail oriented, with a high level of ethics and integrity;
- Ability to hire and mentor accounting professionals.
If this sounds like you then please send us your CV now! Due to the high volume of applications, only successful candidates will be contacted.